Thursday 11 February 2016

Heat

Follow up of Temperature and Kinetic Theory

Prerequisite: chemistry

Scored me a four in AP chemistry. The first thing that tripped me up was titration (but those were good days, joking about titrating ก๋วยเตี๋ยว). Tied at second place with solubility, was calorimetry. Now I wish someone had told me this:



Sure I knew what temperature was, otherwise I would not have even gotten a three. What I did not understand was heat. It is not a difficult concept but the teacher (and the textbook) probably took it for granted and only explained temperature.

I like to think that the relation of heat and temperature is similar to that of moles and concentration, or even charge and voltage. Molecules go from high to low concentration. Charges go from high to low voltage. Likewise, heat goes from high to low temperature.

Not sure why internal energy is introduced in this chapter. Will bring this up in the next~

Latent heat is just a fancy name for heat of phase change, whether it be freezing, melting, condensing, or evapourating. It is very important because it is actually rather easy to overlook in a calculation. At least for me. And we have our old friend specific heat down there, familiar and just as important.



Physics is obsessed with rates, so there:


AP is only likely to contain conduction. The rest, again, are nice to know.

Head on to the finale of the thermal physics trilogy.. Laws of Thermodynamics~

No comments:

Post a Comment